Friday, January 3, 2014

May 2014 broaden my horizon

I need a rejuvenating beading experience, fresh air, a new horizon, new inspiration.

Pear-shaped Geometric Earrings
Today during a skype session, a very dear friend in the USA showed me the inside of the book 'shaped Beadwork' written by Diane Fitzgerald in 2009. I am grateful that she did, because I caught the sight of a pair of pear-shaped earrings which were very similar to a pair I created not long ago. I was about to write a pattern for this, but now I hesitate...

I have never bought beading books before. I am very much self-taught. Never took classes either, because of my photophobia. But also, I am not at all the kind of girl who will 'do what she's told'. I like to discover things by myself. I don't receive beading magazines since quite a long time - I never made anything from it, but I love to have designer's advice and hints. NanC Meinhardt's Master Class in a Beadwork Magazine a few years ago totally blew my mind.

It may sound strange but I have tons of projects and ideas, but I don't feel the breeze of dynamic enhusiasm burning inside of me. I might need a little incentive.

When I saw Diane Hyde's beautiful Monkey in the Works - her Battle of the Beadsmith 2013 piece, I was drooling over it. It lighted a little creative fire inside of me, and it resulted in something pretty unusual, a 'Peace and Love' necklace, made with found objects only. The beaded beads are made with twin beads, the bobbin is embellished with twin and crystal beads and the big white Bead is removable / exchangeable - the metallic tube of the windchime holds it in place. It is far from perfect, but what is really special about it, is that I had fun making it.
Beautiful mixed media
Serafina by Diane  Hyde
Photo ©Diane Hye

I pre-ordred Diane Hyde's book about Bead Embroidery entitled "Break the Rules". I understand from the title that it is more an inspirational book than a project book, even though there will be projects in it - every Lark Book has projects in it. How-to's can be very interesting, but I feel attracted to her mixed-meda jewelry and would like to know more about her creative process.

Picasso said that "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." I don't have that impression about my own work these days...

In 2014 I hope to wash away the daily dust of my soul more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!